I got together with some good friends a few days ago and one friend pulled out her knitting to show us what she had been up to. There were knitted dishcloths/washcloths in all sorts of beautiful colors. I have wanted to learn how to knit for ages, but have either pushed it aside or gotten too busy with taking care of 4 children!
I have been thinking lately, though, about how important it is to learn these types of skills. My mother did not teach me these things, probably because her mother did not teach her. How much longer do we want that cycle to continue? I learned how to do basic crochet years ago from my great grandmother, who has now passed away. Too many women are still working nowadays to be "Titus 2" women to the younger generation. I suppose it is up to us to either seek out people who can teach us these skills, or learn them ourselves!
My friend Leah gave me address for a great how-to site on knitting! I am very excited, and I took the opportunity this morning to learn how to cast on, and do the knit and purl stitches. I have done about 5 rows so far, and it is fun. It could very well get addictive and make me neglect the children! I don't want that! ;) I will have to save it for while they are napping or in bed.
2 comments:
ahhhh...I just wrote this LONG comment and it was eaten by my computer! So this one will be lackluster in comparison.
first of all, it was great seeing you and the kiddos the other day- your new daughter is so sweet!
secondly I wholeheartedly agree with this post and I salute you at your learning to knit on your own- this is a huge accomplishment (I started learning to crochet but put it down too long and cannot finish my scarf until someone helps me along because I have a hard time learning from written instruction)
thirdly, I'm glad you are posting again :)
How great! I crochet a wee bit, but would love to knit. I love the tighter stitches.Lovely blog here! Blessings!
Post a Comment