Saturday, January 17, 2009

More St. Kitts

We really enjoyed seeing the sights in St. Kitts. Our tour was quite an adventure, too (but little did we know how much of an adventure when we set out!) We took a rainforest adventure trip. At first, we got on a truck with an open back with metal gridwork. Some people sat inside the truck, while others (like us!) sat in the open back. Dave and I were the last ones on the back, so, while the truck was whizzing through the streets of St. Kitts, we had an up close and personal view of the street! I would've taken a photo, but I was too busy clinging to the metal bars. :D

Our tour included a few stops at "set up" places where people would pop out of seemingly nowhere to hawk their goods. One of the more interesting stops was with a man who had a pet green monkey on his back, wearing a diaper. He had the little guy hop up onto us and walk around, then wanted money for it. The monkey clearly did not want to be with the tourists and kept trying to hop back on the man, who kept pushing him back up on us. At one point, the monkey hopped up on Dave for some peace. Our tour guide said many people on St. Kitts have the monkeys as pets, but they have to be caught as babies, otherwise they will be too wild.





A "sandpaper tree".



Our tour guide demonstrating that once the vines hanging from the trees get large and old enough, even an adult can swing from them. Fun!


A huge, gnarled tree in the woods.



Can you see the blue ropes in the trees? We literally had to pull ourselves up using those, roots, and trees. Welcome to "Survivor: St. Kitts"!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

#1 Hi Dave!

#2 I always wanted a pet monkey! I happened to watch an old movie about a man with chimps and then I became obsessed.

#3~ That is SUCH an interesting tree. Never seen anything like it! (obviously)

#4~ PLEASE tell me you swung too?!?

#5~Happy Anniversary you too! 10 years, eh? Look at all that God has blessed you with in ten years time! I am so happy you are together again, and so happy that you took some time for yourselves. You certainly deserved it after the year you've had!

Abigail said...

I hope you took the opportunity to swing from those!!! I have such great memories of swinging from wild grape vines when I was younger; I'd love to relive that feeling.

Abigail said...

p.s.
Why bring a monkey home when you already have four?!