Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Angels on the Tree



Yesterday I got a wonderful package in the mail-my Angel Tree ornaments from Reece's Rainbow! This is an adoption grant ministry. It helps get the word out and raise grant money for the international adoption of children with special needs, mainly Down syndrome. It was founded by Andrea Roberts, a woman who has a young son with Down syndrome.

Everyone knows that there are orphans in the world, but it is really eye-opening to actually see video of the conditions in these mental institutions! If you have a moment, please watch all the sections of this video. NBC's Ann Curry actually went inside some of the mental institutions in Serbia to document what goes on in there. It is horrific.

Mothers and fathers are often encouraged to give their children with disabilities up. They are told that the children will have a better life in these places. The governments of these countries do not offer much support, if any, in the way of people with mental disabilities, so the parents often feel stuck and give in.

The one thing everyone is forgetting is that nothing takes the place of a mother or father. Nothing. These kids need love and, often times, when they are adopted and brought into a loving home, they truly blossom! Children that were on the brink of death with dehydration or starvation gain weight and have shiny hair and bright eyes again. Those that were thought to not be able to talk, suddenly start speaking words, even sentences. There is a culture in many countries that wants to relegate these people to these places, never to be seen again. Sadly, there is simply no place for these people in their society. With the recent development of a test that can detect Down syndrome early in pregnancy, America isn't much better. :(

If I could shout from the mountaintops, I would tell the world that giving birth to Joshua has been the biggest blessing in our lives. Truly, if I could speak to women that are pregnant with a child that has a disability, I would say do not worry. It is really ok. The fear and sadness one might first have is replaced with a deep, fierce love. All these children want and need is love and acceptance. I can't imagine our lives without this little guy. To know that the world shoves people like my son into dark mental institutions for the rest of their lives, or kills them off in the womb is excruciatingly sad to me. People don't understand they are missing out on a huge blessing. They simply don't give these children a chance.

If you are able, please consider giving some money to help one or more of these children get adopted.

6 comments:

Abigail said...

I love this post and your heart so clearly evident here.

My grandpa and grandpa were urged by many pushy doctors to put Aunt Shirley in a "place where she belonged," but they loved her at home, where she truly belonged. This was a highly unusual decision for that time in America, but, because of it, I count my aunt as one of my friends and can't wait to reunite with her in glory.
John's uncle, on the other hand, who also had Down syndrome, lived in an awful facility, which was normal for the day, and which seems to still be normal in many parts of the world.

Thank you so much for sharing this information and the link. Praise God that Joshua has parents who see him for exactly who he is-- a precious, irreplaceable soul!

(Also, could you please email me your address? Pretty please? I asked for it after Joshua was born, but in such a crazy time, it must have slipped through the cracks. Also, could you tell me what size he's wearing now? Pretty, pretty please?)

nancygrayce said...

I love this post! I think all your children are so blessed to have you and Dave for parents. Your patience and love is evident in each of them. (even though I haven't met Sarah or Joshua!) :)

Patti said...

LOVE THIS POST!

Monica said...

I love your Christmastree :-) Wonderful to see all the little faces on there.

Monica
www.xmaswarrior.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

That last paragraph is an amazing one and I hope many people who need to hear those words, stumble upon them. I loved particularly the words- FIERCE LOVE. That seems to perfectly describe it.

Full of Grace said...

This is a beautiful, beautiful post..enough said.