When we moved here to the country, I mourned the fact that Dave didn't want a cat in the house. I knew cats also live out of doors, but I grew up with one in the house and felt that since we didn't have a proper place for the cat to hide from inclement weather that it wasn't a good idea...
Enter our interest in chickens. These animals are some of the funniest creatures God has made! They are a riot and a half, and keep the boys occupied for hours. They have a "herd instinct" or whatever you want to call it, and they like to move around in a group. When we go out to feed them, I clink the feed containers together and they come running, chirping and peeping all the way. You also can't beat the fact that, unlike dogs or cats, they also give you a tangible return on your investment (eggs and/or meat)!
The boys will spend their time outside playing with the chickens. Of course, to mama, it looks a lot like terrorizing them, but Matthew swears that the chickens like to take rides in 5-gallon buckets. They LOVE to stay inside his makeshift houses. :)
So, this is my endorsement for chickens. If you have the room for a couple, go ahead and try it. They are really no more bother to take care of than a cat or dog, they are usually quite friendly, and they give you treasures to put on your table. How fun is that?
2 comments:
Right on! I look forward to the day...
Chickens are definately amusing and entertaining! And lots of fun to chase around for a bunch of little boys, I'm sure...
SO, a little off subject, have you picked a name out for your upcoming little girl, or are you keeping it a secret? :) Inquiring minds want to know! :)
Post a Comment