Saturday, February 23, 2008

Comin' Right Up!

A few months ago, I got the much-sought after invite to Ravelry, a knitting and crocheting community. That is where I heard about "amigurumi" (ah-mee guh-roo-mee), the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting little people, animals, and objects. I admit, some of the little creatures are a bit over the top for me. What I really like are the different foods. So does Stephen. Enter in a challenge: Can I make a basketful of these things in time for his birthday, with a sojourn to MA between now and then?

I have been staying up way too late creating these things. Some are from patterns, and some are made up by me on the fly.

Here are a few pics of what I have done already:



Fried Egg pattern by Ana Paula Rimoli, bacon by me. :)




Acorn pattern by June Gilbank.


I look forward to making more of these in time for his birthday. In the works are cookies and cupcakes from Ana Paula, and possibly some veggies like corn or a tomato. The little faces on them are what make them special. A lot of amigurumi have little plastic "saftey" eyes, but since Stephen is still so fond of putting things in his mouth (aarggh!), I have to sew faces on them with yarn. It is safer in the end, no matter whose mouth they end up in-LOL!

3 comments:

Abigail said...

These are so cool! I bought some felt before Christmas to sew the girls some cloth food with embroidered details, but-- surprise, surprise-- I still haven't made a one. I LOVE these, and I think you did an awesome job on them!

Leah said...

How cute! I love all of them!!!

Thanks so much for sharing pictures and links! I'll have to try my hand at making some of them sometime!

Lisa said...

Very cute!

I am going to need to learn to crochet.

That Homemaker's Mentor magazine I subscribed to has a lesson on crocheting this month, but it is only the very beginning, so, if I actually buy the supplies and learn the beginning, where should I go next to learn more (book, website, etc.)?