Monday, March 5, 2007

Where's the Couch?


That is the question on my mind. It seems like we have been running ourselves ragged these past few days, visiting people and going all sorts of places. This weekend was no exception! On Saturday, Dave helped a man from our church out at an auction which lasted all day. I dropped off all three boys at my mom and stepdad's, then got my hair a MUCH needed hairtrim, went grocery shopping and came back to their house to have a quick lunch. After that, two out of the three boys went for naps, and Matthew, my stepdad, and I went to Lowes and another store to price windows for our new kitchen, plus get light fixtures and some neat pine beadboard planking for the ceiling of our downstairs bathroom.


I have to admit, it is exciting to have a room down to studs with all the possibilities of what you can do floating in your head. However, it is rather tiring to think of all the possibilities all the time! I suppose that is why people hire interior decorators and contractors! Not us! We're frugal! :) Dave actually won 2 bags of R-19 cellulose insulation for $1 total and a replacement window for $12 at the auction! I was beyond pleased, considering the cheapest I had found a replacement window for was $130! We looked at each other and declared we will make that window work!



This morning was spent ripping up old vinyl flooring in the old kitchen. My very enthusiastic oldest son Matthew wanted to bang apart an old wooden chair. I thought that was a great idea because it was too cold and windy to go outside and run off energy! As he took to the chair, Stephen and I went to work on the floor. Matthew joined in after a while and we're proud to say that we got most of the old tiles up. We need to get this up before we put down new flooring. This preparation is nowhere near as exciting as actually getting up drywall and installing cabinets and flooring and light fixtures. I try to remind myself that everything is a step in the right direction, though! :)

Needless to say, we're all tuckered out from pretending to be Bob Villa all morning. This was while Timothy was taking a nap, too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're coming along nicely on the new kitchen! I can't wait to see it! Maybe Scott and I could come out some Saturday and help with one of your current projects!

Hen Jen said...

my husband would love your house. He always has to have a project. We moved to our house 3 years ago becuz we needed more room, and he was threatening to take the house down to the ground. And I knew he would, his dad did, across the street. Moving was the easier option. Tho he finds lots to rip out. My husband loves a room down to its studs and all the possibilities you mentioned. Show us pictures when you are all done!

Michelle said...

Jenny,

Can your husband come out and help??? hehe :D