Saturday, January 17, 2009

St. Thomas and St. John

We loved St. Thomas and St. John! It was the most "Americanized" of all the places we visited, because they are part of the U.S. Virgin Islands. St. Thomas is also known as a shopping mecca in the Caribbean, so it was bustling place! We took a boat ride to quieter St. John and went on a nature hike there, complete with snorkeling if we desired.







An imposing view of our ship in St. Thomas.


Our ship docked in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.







Views of St. Thomas from the top of the Skyride.



A cactus people had scarred up with grafitti.



To "lime" in the islands means to relax and chill out.




The Skyride!



The view from the top of the Skyride looking down into St. Thomas.



Medusa vines on St. John.



St. John



A termite nest seen our our nature hike on St. John.



A coconut on Honeymoon Beach on St. John.



Dave snorkeling on St. John. Doesn't it look like pool water?






Honeymoon Beach.



Sugarcane factory ruins on St. Thomas.


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am in AWE.

I love the photos you took (number 2 and 5) because it is so artistic the speckles on land and sea. Really neat.

Pic 6: again...shocked at seeing a real cruise boat. Somebody get me OUT more often!

Pc 7: AGAIN--it is bigger than LOTS of shops! Did it even feel like you were ON a boat? Did Titanic ever come into mind? Which reminds me of a funny bumpersticker I recently read, here goes:

Amateurs built the Ark Professionals built the Titanic

HA! (But only because you made it back safely!)

10 and 12: Those views are breathtaking-but I never in a MILLION YEARS would have gone on a skyride like that. Talk about BREATH taking. I would have spent the WHOLE time puking. So glad I get to see the view thanks to YOUR bravery!

In fact~ pic #17 actually has that affect on me even via PHOTO. Must. Scroll. Down.

#18~ fitting name! A worthy representation of myself when I wake up in the morning.

#19~is the water REALLY that blue? It seems impossible!

#23~ IT IS! Snorkeling is such a wonderful adventure. I personally get the heebeejeebies around fish, so I was SURPRISED when I enjoyed it so much...even while encountering a BARACUDA on our honeymoon.

#28~
There is nothing more inspiring to me than seeing ruins, of any kind

Abigail said...

I love these! The ones of little sailing boats next to your monster cruise ship, the exotic locale (termite's nest...HUGE!), but especially the gorgeous beach. The water is stunning, so pristine and blue, just like one sees in travel calenders.