Saturday, January 17, 2009

Our cruise!

Dave and I decided to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary a bit early (it will be Dec. 2009) by taking a cruise. Our reasoning was that we'll just have moved to a new duty station and Dave will be in the midst of training and we need some time for us. My aunt got us a great deal on a 10-night cruise to the eastern Carribean, so we asked Dave's stepmom if she would be willing to help us out by watching the kids. She graciously accepted, and we left on January 1st and returned on January 12th. We drove all the way to Ft. Lauderdale (about 10 hours) to Port Everglades to get on the cruise ship. It was a grand time! We visited St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten, but were able to also sneak in a trip to St. John while in St. Thomas. We met a couple on the cruise and went on tours with them the whole time, becoming great friends. Cruises are a great way to get a taste of many different places in one trip.


Here are some views inside the ship:



The grand foyer.


The ceiling in the grand foyer.


Our teeny tiny room.

5 comments:

Abigail said...

WOW!

I just skimmed through these posts, and they're amazing! I'll come back this weekend with more comments, but I just wanted you to thank you for posting all these pictures.

Nothing like a vicarious cruise in midwinter!

Rebecca said...

WOW! HOLY COW! You lucky duck!

That is SO awesome in SO many ways! First childless time since Rachel anyway--did you feel like your hands were empty? Of course, you had AWESOME diversions! Look at that waterfall of sparkle in the foyer! Call me naive but I had NO idea ships looked like that! It's HUGE. MASSIVE! JIGUNDO!

And so is the amount of jealousy I am feeling right now.

And awe

And amazement.

But mostly, jealousy. :-)

Rebecca said...

ps. A WALL of mirrors? I wonder how many honeymoons take place on a cruise?!? ;-)

Abigail said...

I didn't entirely lie in my last comment, because I DID come back that weekend. I was still too overwhelmed to comment, though! I still might only stammer...WOW! WOW!

I am so glad that you and Dave got to share such a great experience and enjoy each other's company...alone! :)

Abigail said...

I guess you're waiting until your next cruise to post again?

:)

I'll be here, waiting patiently, until then.